With the relatively recent opening of the Discussions, there have been numerous ups and downs with maintaining the rules of this ‘wild west’ of creepypasta fans. At the mention of the role and being asked if I had interest, I am submitting this application today for the position/role/title (?) of Discussions Moderator. (I am posting here in the Rollback applications as instructed by HopelessNightOwl upon asking about where to apply.)
As we all know, Discussions is a VERY busy area of the wiki where a lot of users go to discuss creepypasta and other topics. There have been a number of times where people are breaking the rules in general or getting into arguments or causing drama and are not dealt with in a timely manner simply because there is a lack of moderation in the area. This is NOT a callout on the admins - this site is volunteer work, I get it. I’m a part of it! But of course, it would be preferable for there to be more people on watch to cut down any rule violations and the violators more effectively and swiftly. I would like to help in this regard.
Since there aren’t any particularly clear guidelines for what is needed in a Discussions moderator application, I suppose the best I can do is provide a list of things I’ve done and/or are doing currently for the wiki, and repost some points I used from a previous application:
- I have been a Rollback for seven and a half (7.5) months, and active on the wiki in general for the last year and a half;
- As previously mentioned, I frequently watch the Wiki Activity for bad edits, spam, vandalism, and unfinished or below standard pages and mark them appropriately;
- I’ve helped add the newer Christmas tag to older stories that fit the category when the category was newly created;
- I give reviews in the Writer’s Workshop where I find time;
- I have spent some time researching staff roles and behaviour over various pages, both on our wiki and from FANDOM directly, and have gotten familiar with the rules of the site, as well as asking admins (cough Empy cough) for clarification when needed;
- I am familiar with the functions of the Discussions feature, both on desktop and through the (extremely limiting) FANDOM app. I have also familiarized myself with the rules regarding Discussions, am aware that they are subject to constant change as this is an ongoing process, and have reminded users of the rules in the past via the comments sections of posts.
I hope this suffices as a Discussions moderator application. Thank you for your consideration, and I look forward to your decision.
Deadline: May 27th, 2020
- Support -
- Neutral -
- Oppose -
Please sign your replies!
- Oh of course! I figured this role was more of just an enforce-and-report kind of thing, and less so punishing or blocking users who violate the rules (I'll do whatever is needed to be done, should the latter be what's involved). And I'm always ready to pester y- I mean, ask for clarification on any situations that are iffy :) RedNovaTyrant (talk) 04:08, May 21, 2020 (UTC)
Support - If anyone (besides Empy, of course) could do a good job being a discussions mod, I'm certain it would be you, RNT. You are very active, constantly giving people good advice on how to write Creepypasta and making sure that vandals and "terrorists" don't run rampant on this Wiki. You definitely seem to know your way around the CW, and I've seen you in discussions plenty.
Honestly, I'm kinda surprised that you aren't running for admin. You would do a pretty darn good job there, too. But I agree. More discussion mods on this Wiki are pretty desperately needed at this time, and I personally believe that you would be a perfect addition to that crew. Postuhenin (talk) 22:07, May 20, 2020 (AKDT)
Support - I was the one who solicited Red to apply, and I believe he is eminently qualified.
Support - I agree with the others. You are very active and act accordingly with site edits and when dealing with other users.