FANDOM


  • Well over a year ago, a held a contest which assigned a cliche to everyone that entered. The contest challenged users to take typically despised content and shape a story out of it. It was a rather fun time and I felt it was enjoyable to the userbase that contended.

    http://creepypasta.wikia.com/wiki/User_blog:ShawnCognitionCP/Anti-Cliche_Creepypasta_Contest

    I would like to host a second, with an added twist from the first. My proposal for this contest is that it would feature two judges (one to be selected, should this pass), and both offer up a cliche. For instance, one would come from me ("abduction"), and one from the other judge ("psycho killer with a kitchen knife"), and the challenge would be in not just making these cliches work, but tying them together in a plot that seems sensible.

    Though it'd be a goal to avoid blacklisted subjects, I feel that if the winning story is good enough to stomp out the competition, it'd be good enough for a blacklist appeal due to quality. Or, should one be assigned, perhaps the author will chose to play with it in a way that doesn't make it the key plot piece, but rather the second cliche?

      Loading editor
    • I think it'd be nice to see what everyone else thinks, but damn I love this idea and will be up for it if it goes ahead.

        Loading editor
    • That seems like a great idea, especially the combining part. Also, a blacklist appeal won't be needed, unless a topic is picked from these.

        Loading editor
    • I think it's great and I see no reason against it. Heh, maybe I could even remove the spider webs between my fingers and write something everybody! (crickets in the whole wikia)

        Loading editor
    • I'm fine with the cliche part but strongly against any blacklisted topics. I actually would love to do away with the blacklist/spinoff appeal altogether. I don't want to deal with making people post everything off site and then listen to bitching about why we're suddenly allowing blacklisted subjects. The abuse log is constantly full of blacklisted stories, so people are still obsessed with them. I don't want to do anything to promote or draw attention to those themes.

      All that being said, I think the use of cliches is a good exercise, and if a story turns out well enough, a good statement. You do need to add something about what you intend to do for the winners.

        Loading editor
    • Jay ten wrote: I'm fine with the cliche part but strongly against any blacklisted topics. I actually would love to do away with the blacklist/spinoff appeal altogether. I don't want to deal with making people post everything off site and then listen to bitching about why we're suddenly allowing blacklisted subjects. The abuse log is constantly full of blacklisted stories, so people are still obsessed with them. I don't want to do anything to promote or draw attention to those themes.

      All that being said, I think the use of cliches is a good exercise, and if a story turns out well enough, a good statement. You do need to add something about what you intend to do for the winners.

      The only blacklisted subject that would possibly be touched would be "Jeff inspired", but giving a cliche often associated with that type of shitty pasta- though I will now make a point to sternly avoid the blacklisted subjects.

      Previous contests have resulted with the winner receiving the Spotlighted Pasta section in an upcoming month- is this still something that is achievable?

        Loading editor
    • As long as you don't come right out and say "Jeff inspired", but rather "abused child goes insane" (or something along those lines), then I'm not really concerned about that. The reason I'm so strongly against blacklisted subjects in this instance is because they're so easy to avoid since you're in control (plus the other stuff I mentioned).

      As for the spotlight, we actually just had two, maybe three months where we spotlighted a story that wasn't put forward by the community via nomination, so we're going to return to our regular spotlighting routine for at least a month or two. I have mentioned a new option on our admin chat, one that one of the others brought up (I think it was Tom) as a way to allow the collab to be on the front page as well as the spotlight, and that's simply making a space below the spotlight like we used to do when we had PotM. I'll have to let you know what the others say, but I doubt there will be much of an issue. The only thing will be whether it's next month or November. It will depend on when the collab is done since it was already promised a spot when it's finished. I'll let you know when I hear some feedback.

        Loading editor
    • Jay ten wrote: As long as you don't come right out and say "Jeff inspired", but rather "abused child goes insane" (or something along those lines), then I'm not really concerned about that. The reason I'm so strongly against blacklisted subjects in this instance is because they're so easy to avoid since you're in control (plus the other stuff I mentioned).

      As for the spotlight, we actually just had two, maybe three months where we spotlighted a story that wasn't put forward by the community via nomination, so we're going to return to our regular spotlighting routine for at least a month or two. I have mentioned a new option on our admin chat, one that one of the others brought up (I think it was Tom) as a way to allow the collab to be on the front page as well as the spotlight, and that's simply making a space below the spotlight like we used to do when we had PotM. I'll have to let you know what the others say, but I doubt there will be much of an issue. The only thing will be whether it's next month or November. It will depend on when the collab is done since it was already promised a spot when it's finished. I'll let you know when I hear some feedback.

      Alright, good to know, Jay. Thanks for the aid.

        Loading editor
    • Ok, I've discussed it with the others, and everyone is fine with it. The winner will be placed on the front page along with the spotlighted pasta, just make sure they know which month isn't definite at this point. If the collab isn't ready in time, but your contest is wrapped up, then it will be put up during October. If not, then it will be November. I guess just tell them it will be front-paged for one of the two. Make your blog whenever you want, and I'll let you know if it needs any adjustments.

        Loading editor
    • Before posting the blog, can we talk a bit about the judges? In the last contest, I understand there was a problem with judging and we should try to avoid that as much as we can.

      I have some time in my hands the next couple of months and I could jump in as a judge, but only if there is a word limit (I'd suggest 10000 words tops, preferably closer to 7500 for me). Is that something that interests you?

        Loading editor
    • I'm all for this, but I agree with Mr Dupin about getting more than one judge and about the word limit. I feel like 7500 words helps keep things short and far more palpable for any reviewers/judgers. Similarly I imagine that runner-up rewards will probably include reviews of the work, but should we identify who will be doing those now? Or just wait till later? Obviously Shawn is the logical answer, but I just mean it might help to put some other people forward in case he isn't able to do them all. Not to mention it'll probably just be nice to not have him get worked to death. I think poor A_O nearly died reviewing all the ones from the last competition.

        Loading editor
    • MrDupin wrote: Before posting the blog, can we talk a bit about the judges? In the last contest, I understand there was a problem with judging and we should try to avoid that as much as we can.

      I have some time in my hands the next couple of months and I could jump in as a judge, but only if there is a word limit (I'd suggest 10000 words tops, preferably closer to 7500 for me). Is that something that interests you?

      I will not start the contest until this is all decided on. The date I had in mind was tomorrow night. The word limit of 10,000 words certainly seems fair. Reading a plethora of 15k stories would take a long time to finish. In fact, when I said there would be another judge, you were one of the few I had in mind. I'd certainly take you on as the second judge if you'd join.

      I have two judging methods in mind. Both judges review each story on a 1-10 scale. The two scores are averaged out. The number between them is the score. As for being overwhelmed, I am planning on a two week period for this contest, so hopefully this means that stories will be submitted over time and not 10+ in two hours like some other contests.

        Loading editor
    • ChristianWallis wrote: I'm all for this, but I agree with Mr Dupin about getting more than one judge and about the word limit. I feel like 7500 words helps keep things short and far more palpable for any reviewers/judgers. Similarly I imagine that runner-up rewards will probably include reviews of the work, but should we identify who will be doing those now? Or just wait till later? Obviously Shawn is the logical answer, but I just mean it might help to put some other people forward in case he isn't able to do them all. Not to mention it'll probably just be nice to not have him get worked to death. I think poor A_O nearly died reviewing all the ones from the last competition.

      I will be giving an in-depth review to each story I judge, as I always have. As for runner-up rewards, I do like the idea of the second place and third place contestants being able to request single story of theirs to be given a very in-depth review. One thing that was just a small idea would be having a narrator (of which the wiki has many) narrate one story from each runner-up (still of their choice), but the likelyhood of a narrator agreeing to that is wickedly small. If you would like to review stories of the runner-ups as well, I see no reason that couldn't happen. That way they receive 2 (or 3, if Dupin would as well) in-depth opinions on their story- a lot more help and guidance.

        Loading editor
    • To be fair it seems like you've figured all this out pretty well. If you would like to consider me as a judge alongside Dupin (we could always split stories) that would be fair, but I was also quite interested in submitting a story as well so whether I'd be barred from judging based on that would be up to you. If you'd like you can see my reviews of two stories (done for the last competition) here and here.

        Loading editor
    • ChristianWallis wrote: To be fair it seems like you've figured all this out pretty well. If you would like to consider me as a judge alongside Dupin (we could always split stories) that would be fair, but I was also quite interested in submitting a story as well so whether I'd be barred from judging based on that would be up to you. If you'd like you can see my reviews of two stories (done for the last competition) here and here.

      With three judges, wouldn't that require each story getting three cliches to attempt to use?

        Loading editor
    • I'd be content to just help with reviews if that's needed. I don't want to put myself into something when not asked so feel free to just call on me if needed (like King Arthur but with less personal hygiene). I don't want to seem like I'm saying "I want to be a judge" I just want to volunteer if you'd like extra help should there be a load of entries, as well as giving examples of my other reviews to prove I'm not a cretin. Hope this helps!

        Loading editor
    • I agree with the scoring system and the contest period.

      So, me and Shawn are the judges, and we'll both be leaving reviews on the entries.

      I would also like a mention in the blog that a story is not only judged by its quality, but also on the use of the given cliches.

      Word limit is 10,000.

      The two runner-ups (or one, if attendance is low) can choose a story of theirs to get reviewed.

      I think we have covered everything.

        Loading editor
    • ChristianWallis wrote: I'd be content to just help with reviews if that's needed. I don't want to put myself into something when not asked so feel free to just call on me if needed (like King Arthur but with less personal hygiene). I don't want to seem like I'm saying "I want to be a judge" I just want to volunteer if you'd like extra help should there be a load of entries, as well as giving examples of my other reviews to prove I'm not a cretin. Hope this helps!

      That sounds lovely. If needed, I'll ask for your aid (should Dupin and I be overwhelmed or suddenly become occupied) in the contest's judging. As for submitting a story, the only limiter is (obviously) not reviewing your own story.

        Loading editor
    • MrDupin wrote: I agree with the scoring system and the contest period.

      So, me and Shawn are the judges, and we'll both be leaving reviews on the entries.

      I would also like a mention in the blog that a story is not only judged by its quality, but also on the use of the given cliches.

      Word limit is 10,000.

      The two runner-ups (or one, if attendance is low) can choose a story of theirs to get reviewed.

      I think we have covered everything.

      Yep, sounds like everything. I'll post the blog tomorrow night when I get home.

      Starting point- September 7th. Ending point- September 21st.

        Loading editor
    • Christian, you ninja'd me on the last post. I didn't know you wanted to be a judge on here and I kinda jumped the gun. Sorry man.

      So, what do you say you go ahead and enter the competition if you want, and if a problem with the judges arises you help in?

        Loading editor
    • I actually think you wouldn't have too much trouble finding someone to do narrations as long as the author is willing to put the narration on the article, and as long as it's not too NSFW (a lot of narrators won't touch those). They would probably be especially interested if you were to offer linking their Youtube page in the contest blog with a "Big thanks to..." line.

        Loading editor
    • Jay ten wrote: I actually think you wouldn't have too much trouble finding someone to do narrations as long as the author is willing to put the narration on the article, and as long as it's not too NSFW (a lot of narrators won't touch those). They would probably be especially interested if you were to offer linking their Youtube page in the contest blog with a "Big thanks to..." line.

      I'll contact a narrator whom I consider to be a good friend about this right now.

        Loading editor
    • A FANDOM user
        Loading editor
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.